Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A typical day




Where does the time go in a day?Where does the time go in the day? As always when I look back it went fast, and slow at the same time. The following is what happened yesterday which is pretty typical of my day as a stay at home mom:

6:57 am: I am dead asleep (unusual since Natalie is sick and both kids are usually up earlier) and I hear the door to Peter’s door open and the sounds of him going to use the bathroom.

7:22 am I must have fallen asleep again, and now I hear Natalie so I get up drink some water, and go brush my teeth and go to the bathroom, go to the kitchen to get some infant Motrin for Natalie and then to Natalie’s room to breast feed her. I usually don’t get dressed for the day until after Natalie goes down for a nap, but we’re going to the Dr. today so I get that outta the way.

7:40am David has my morning coffee ready and Natalie goes into her play area and Peter is playing in the family room while I try to read my bible, and prayer book….Oh the coffee is good, and has some Carolanne’s in it. Yummy.

David leaves for work after eating his cereal and then we are on our own.

8:15 am: I make pancakes for us which is a treat, and we finish around 8:45am, I clean up the kitchen while both kids play, not so quietly in the Family room, with lots of peeks in from mommy.

9:10am Natalie is still not feeling to well, so Peter goes into his bedroom, to get dressed and play, while I put down Natalie,

9:20 Natalie’s down, and I help Peter get ready and then we go brush our teeth,.

9:45am I make another coffee for me and some ovaltine for Peter, and then Natalie wakes up earlier than usual
Peter goes back to his room to play, and I feed Natalie.

We then play in the Family room, and I get some finger food ready for Natalie for when we go to the DRs.

10:30am: Davids’ home, and Natalie and I hit the road for the DR. ON the drive I listen to talk radio, news and Christian radio….Greg Luarie is talking about how God got him through losing his son tragically.

It’s hot today.

11:30am we wait for the DR. Natalie weighs 19 pounds now, but she doesn’t have an ear infection.

NOON: Back in the car to home….OH, I am totally out of gas and the yellow light was on the entire way to the DRs. I get gas too.

12:30: Back at home, Peter is sitting in his chair having his lunch and David’s doing some work on the phone.

I make Natalie a quick lunch, Peter plays in the Family room and David’s leaves for work.

1:00pm I try to get Natalie down, Peter plays in his room,

1:15: I read, sing some hymns to Peter and he falls asleep in my arms, I transfer him to his bed, Natalie is still fussing, so I nurse her, and then put her back in bed.

1:40 BOTH KIDS ARE ASLEEP!!!!!!!!

I clean up the kitchen do two loads of laundry, write some emails about a bible study, upload a photo to my blog and read through the rest of my Modern Reformation and eat lunch.

3ish: Peter calls out, I get his milk and cookies and we watch the most recent recorded show of barefoot Contessa….Peter loves cooking shows….I do too.

Natalie is up at 330is, I go nurse her while Peter plays in his room.

345: Give Natalie some more Motrin for her fever and we head outside where I set up our hose nozzle on mist, and get out some water safe toys, and turn a very large planter tray into a little splashing pool for their little toys. I water our much thirsty plants and my kids get very very wet and seem to have some fun..

It’s still very hot outside.

5ish: David and Daddy are home, yeah!!! Kisses all around, and then since Natalie is fussy, he plays with the kids in the family room while I make dinner, pasta, sausage, bread and veggies….

5:33pm we eat, Natalie ate great so I was pleased and Peter always eats pasta.

6: I bathe Natalie and nurse and put her down for bed, David and Peter are doing some house chores outside.

6:45pm I clean up the kitchen from dinner, talk to my friend Charissa on the phone while folding the two loads of laundry and clean up the family room….

7:40pm David comes in and says “your’s up1” this means I go say my good nights and prayers with Peter and then my day as mommy has unofficially ended…..kind of.

8is : I change into loungies and David makes me some popcorn, I pour myself a glass of wine and we talk a little about our day, any other household business and then we say our prayers and then watch our 24 that we recorded…..

Poor Natalie woke up a lot since she wasn’t feeling well but went back to sleep

10:pm I go in and nurse her again, and give her some motrin

go potty again, go check on peter and tuck in his blanket

10:30pm hit the sheets, kiss David goodnight, and off to sleep I go, usually in 2 minutes or less.

Natalie woke up at 3ish again so I nursed her and gave her some more Motrin for her fever and went back to sleep where

6:43am I am asleep and woken by the sound of Peter opening his door..

And so this ends a very typical day. I would love to read a very typical day from you too.

4 comments:

ATSmith said...

wow!! And we wonder why we are so tired ...

Ninny said...

yeah I really cant remember a day all that well. Once I go to sleep the slate is wiped clean. If it doesn't then my brain goes into over load. Also I really don't have a typical day... every day is so different there is no routine at the Horwedel house.

Nancy said...

Hello Z. Thanks for stopping by my site. Always nice to welcome a new guest.

Some days are like this aren't they? Long and very busy.

I'm not sure I have a typical day; I have an idea of what an 'ideal' typical day would be but of course that never (or rarely) happens.

The Animator's Wife said...

Ok, just posted a response for ya!

Great idea, Ginger!