I see the train.....
Hear the rumble of the Diesel Engine?
Lots and Lots of Reading
Special Time at the Model Airport
I think almost every adult has special childhood memories that are wrapped up around their grand-parents. I know I do, and since I don't have any living grandparents, I like to take out those memories more and more often.
I love nothing more than watching my children with their grandparents. Even in the short relationship that Peter knew his Grandpa Ed, there was already a tight bond with engraved memories, that I keep alive by bringing them often and talk to the kids about.
Between memories and dreams, the loss is lessened when a dear one dies. The more you know someone the more you know what they would say, or do in situations. Recreating a lot of these memories for my children, the same memories that I had as a child, only better, is a way of keeping alive those that they never got a chance to know.
My kids love the train station, and it's even more fun when David's dad comes for a visit, since he comes on the train. He exits the train with his "Alfio Gusto." Arms stretched out wide, singing a song in his luxurious strong voice. After all the hugging and telling me how beautiful the children are, and how wonderful of a daughter to him I am ( I like that part), he reaches into his pockets for treats....
My father-in-law is larger than life. He is always humming a tune, singing a song and always has a smile. He likes to entertain, and since my children are of the age that they like to be entertained, they make a great combination.
He is in his late 80's and in great shape considering. He has slowed down quite a bit, which only makes him a better grandpa since he has a lot of time to read, and read and read and read.....and play lots of hands of Uno.
Children like to be watched, I really noticed this during his last visit. They were just so happy to have someone watching them play, having someone to run up to a show something to. Al was so glad to just relax either on our couch and big chair watch them and give them undivided attention.
No comments:
Post a Comment