Advent....
Is
Just around the corner...
We want to create a sense of wonder and awe for Peter and Natalie during the Christmas season. This year will be the fourth year we observe advent. There are so many ways to observe this very important season. I was a little overwhelmed in the beginning, and then decided that I would build on our advent observance, year by year. Maybe eliminating, maybe adding or changing, but always with a careful eye on what it was we are observing. This of course is much easier to blog about than to do.
Of course kids like candles and fire. This was the first thing I did. Make a candle advent, candles and set this up with our nativiy scene. The kids love the nativity scene. It came back with Aunt Diane from India.
I bought this cheap ($1) felt number countdown from the dollar section at Target and used four Starbucks' gift card holders that are little pockets and move them day by day as we approach Christmas. I scurry around during the day, write the appropriate advent prophesy and fullfillment verses to be read, figure out a song to sing and fill the pockets with little treats.
I would say that our Advent has been pretty much a success, give or take a few hurried nights. It was difficult with a one and a three year old. This year should be more exciting as they are both much older.
So.....This year I planned to upgrade my advent boxes and display. I also want to have pockets or little gift boxes for each child, for every day, already hung onto their advent tree. (This I picked up for free two years ago, in our alley, thanks to our neighbors that throw out the most wonderful trash.....
I spent today with Natalie at Micheals looking for good neat little containers, ribbon, label material and glitter (my new found love.) Today I got the lables done. The Alphabets are for Natalie and the Number's for Peter....I think. I really like the Alphabet lables. The glitter ones, look too hand made for my taste. I already have an idea for next year.
I bought this book of paper boxes that can be folded and glued....It looked so easy and fun.....tore the perferations on one, and couldn't figure out how to fold it....That is going back. I guess I get the little favor boxes...Or I may fold little cardstock cones and seal with a neat stamp....52 of whatever I can figure out. I like this idea the best, since it's cheap.
I want to have fun things "to do" instead of "stuff" in their little containers...."you get to stay up and watch a christmas movie, with Popcorn.", or "tomorrow, we are going to make Christmas Cookies." "Tomorrow, let's wear our pj's all morning and have hot cocoa by the fire." I am hoping to do a few treasure hunts too.....And then on Christmas we don't really buy much for them...Maybe one big gift. They get so much everywhere else so they don't miss it. This year I think our big gift will be skiing.
sooooo.....Here I go. I am really glad to have those little lables done.
No comments:
Post a Comment