The Eulogy I gave at my father's funeral service.
Edward Lee Teter
MAN OF GOD
My dad was a Confidant man.My Dad was a Direct man and a man of Direction. A man of few words, However, His eyes said much. More importantly my dad was a man of Service. He wore a bracelet on his right arm that said it all
MAN OF GOD
In ONE word: He was FAITHFUL- He was faithful with little and he was faithful with much. He was faithful to me.
The loss of my father is excruciating, yet I am comforted because I know this is not the end and I am comforted by all you in knowing that I don’t grieve alone. I think of the gift he left me - an example of a life whose riches owe little to money, a model of what a father should be. A Treasure in heaven."
He reminded a bit of Moses in the Old testament.
When God enlisted Moses to serve him his response was this:
“I have never been eloquent, neither recently nor in time past, nor since You have spoken to Your servant; for I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.”Exodus 4:10
Moses does many great works, and also faltered yet…..
God’s Eulogy for Moses was this…..
“Moses My servant is dead” Joshua 1;2The eulogy is not long; it is not filled with many inspiring words. This is exactly the eulogy that my dad faithfully hoped to hear from God’s own mouth:
My servant.
My dad spent his life serving others. And he was at the front of the line doing it. Whatever my dad had to give he gave, he emptied himself giving, best of all he gave with joy and enthusiasm and did all without Complaint. Well paperwork, he may have complained about paperwork.
My dad taught me that my aim was to store up my treasures in heaven, stay out of trouble, work hard and don’t complain, He abhorred complaining, meaness and thinking more highly of oneself than one ought to. He had a special way of letting you know when he approved, or didn’t. The only thing he ever asked of me was to make sure my grandchildren knew Jesus Christ. He said, “I am expecting you to see my grandchildren in heaven.”
This is not the end....My Dad is now free from the pain that has tortured him for over the last year. He is at rest in Jesus Christ. My dad showed such tremendous grace in his suffering. I witnessed a hurting and anguish in a way that surely would have left his soul devastated, if it were not for Jesus Christ giving him strength and an assurance in an eternity spent with Him.
I was grateful for the Easter Advent season as it was plain to see Jesus Christ in my dad as day after day I watched him faithfully and without complaint pick up his cross and carry it with grace. I worked diligently as my dad’s medical and pain management activist, yet I was powerless over much of it. Yet I trusted in the one who is all Powerful and my dad in I went to God over and over again in Prayer.
Because we knew the end was near I put my hand in his as often as I could. I would say “do you want me to pray?" and he would say “oh, please." He would reach out his wonderful, strong calloused hand and grip my hand tightly, as if his life depended on this prayer.
My dad and I prayed and pleaded our hearts out for healing and miracles. Our prayers were filled with thankfulness for all that we did have, medicine, doctors, family, grandchildren’s health, our prayers were for God to heal him of pain; close to the end I prayed conscientiously that God would take him quick. Our prayers were answered by God, God lifted our eyes toward Eternity spent with Jesus as this was now the only comfort. I was so thankful to God that I was able to minister His word, and pray with my father time and again.
My Father in Heaven did what He promised and answered our prayers.
God’s word says,”My Joy comes in the morning” and on April 1st at 8:01 am God delivered His eternal promise and everlasting Joy to Edward Lee Teter.
As he lay dying I will forever remember the feeling of my dad’s wonderful strong hand gripping mine tightly as I prayed and sang to him of His savior, his last words in this life echoed my last words to him. "I love you."
It was then that he finally fell fast asleep, only to wake up in the Loving arms of Jesus Christ and hear his Savior say “Well Done Good and Faithful Servant."
1 comment:
so tender and precious and real.
Post a Comment