Thursday, January 18, 2007

Rock A Bye Baby

For the most part Peter is very independent. He likes to have me close by, however he definitly does not like his personal space invaded. He lets me hold him closer than anyone else but he doesn't like me to hold him close. I can count on ten fingers how many times he has layed his sweet little head on my shoulder.....I immediately check his temperature when he does.
Even during the tender moments of nursing he maintains about an inch or so buffer between myself and his self.

Thank God I am of this nature as well or I would have a very difficult time understanding and respecting Peter's need of this space.

Occasionally, such as this evening Peter will fall asleep during his last nursing right before bedtime prayers. David was away this evening and I was in no rush to wrestle Peter into his sleeper and put him down for the night.

Tonight I was blessed with him falling asleep in my arms, while I rocked him. I rested my head back on the pillow to hold and rock my baby for as long as he'd let me. I said a prayer of thanksgiving for this precious moment. Well about five minutes later, he opened his sleepy eyes, I respositioned his round and warm body over my shoulder and he fell back asleep for another three minutes. Then he glanced up at me as if to say "time for bed now mom."
I stood up, said his prayers, wrestled him into his PJ's, kissed him goodnight and as I was saying I loved him, he reached for his crib. He smiled at me as I lay him down and rolled over to get his blanket and closed his eyes.

These eight minutes spent with my little rapidly growing son couldn't be more priceless than if they were eight light years.

I thank God for these eight minutes. How many moments of our lives can we be said to feel like we are exactly at the time doing the right thing? Since becoming a mother I have more of these moments. For all the mother's reading this, I hope that God grants you an abundance of these moments to fill your treasury.

1 comment:

ATSmith said...

Ah ... love it! Yes, have had many "right" moments ... they are really precious when you are in the mood to accept the moment and go with it.