Tuesday, February 04, 2014
Contracts and Obligations
Well, our second buyers look like they are backing out. These are the two almost identical offers that came through together. We chose the best of the "to good to be true" offers. And as it turns out, they both were.
The first were a couple that were over the top enthusiastic about our home. They loved everything about it and said several times they wished we would even leave the swing set. Everything they said indicated that they were fulfilling their end of the contract.
They even put their money where the mouth was and spent big money on inspections, and so when the cancelled without any warning, and not a peep, we were surprised.
However, Within two hours though of their cancellation our buyers with a back up offer snapped up our house. They had been wishy washy initially and so they lost out the first time.
We countered back with a full asking price and they didn't hesitate because their hemming and hawing had already cost them to lose out on four homes in 2.5 years. They were also eager and glad to have another opportunity to rectify losing our home the first time.
Well, as I again tidied our house for viewing and the final inspection, I waited and waited and then there was a knock....
It was their realtor with an apology and obvious frustration with his clients lack of being able to follow through. They cancelled the inspection because they are unsure if they are making the right choice.
So two times for no reason due our home two buyers reneged on their contract.
I understand, completely the feelings that accompany change. As I sit in my home that I love, also already owning the new home that I also love, I feel torn. However feelings can be very untrustworthy, and in my case they are.
Moving is emotional regardless of how good it is. Change is hard, especially when you are making changes for an entire house hold and not just yourself.
One thing I have noticed is that dealing with people is that there is less and less security to be had before the "fat lady sings," as we so often hear it said. Is this something new, is this a modern problem only? As we read through history, this is not new. It is vain to put one's hope in the actions of another. If I put all my hope and contentment in another's power, than it doesn't usually take to long before I am disappointed and frustrated.
Where then can we rest? Where is our security to be held. It is in a contract, but it's not in an earthly contract. We have long ceased from using the word, covenant, which is synonymous with contract. There was a covenant made a long time ago, a time when before there was time as we know it. God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit covenanted together to redeem a people that were going to be wayward and go their own way. God planned his rescue of those whom he loved and the rescue was finished upon the cross when Jesus Christ gave up own perfect and sinless life to cancel our debts (our reneging of our own fulfillment of the law.)
He also lived a perfect life and gave that record to us as well. We stand as if we did what Jesus did. That is grace. We all fall short, even though I may fall less short than some, there are always those that in comparison I fall less short of. Our only reference should be the perfection of Jesus Christ.
So as I am tempted to place my trust and security in "good" and "solid" buyers for my home, I will be terribly disappointed when people do just as they do, fall short. Thankfully, my home is not ultimately here, and Jesus said that he went to prepare a place for me to live with him for all eternity. His promises are all yes in Jesus Christ, and my security is sure, and he has given the down payment, the Holy Spirit that testifies with my heart that I am secure in him that has said "It is Finished."
This whole process has humbled me again, when I see how easily I put trust in anything other than Jesus Christ. So again, I will rest that God "hems me (us) in behind and before, and holds all things together for the good of those whom he loves." He does just what he promises so for now we wait for Jesus Christ return with joyful anticipation and patience, regardless of our circumstances....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment