Sunday Morning Before Church.....
The desire to read is the most important gift one can give their children, and their children's children. My mom and dad gave me this gift. My dad said "no T.V." and my mom was often reading, and I do mean often. When I was a child of around five I would sneak out of my bed when I thought everyone was asleep and I would see a light on in my mom's room. She would be propped up on two or three pillows, with her knees up and chewing away on a fingernail, and so absorbed in whatever she was reading, she wouldn't even
notice me in the doorway.
I was an early reader, I cut my teeth on Little House on the Prairie, and other's like that. My mom would at that time, be now coming into my room late a night where she would find me under my covers, with a flashlight, reading.
So, I do the same with my children.
What you do with the TV is the key! In fact my children haven't watched much of it and nothing modern. They don't know who any of the big names, like Mickey Mouse, or the princesses or Sponge Bob. Are they missing out? It doesn't seem like it. Ignorance of some things is bliss!
GOD's WORD
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you have learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching for reproof, for corrections and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:14-16
God gave us language for this primary purpose: so that we may Know who God is and what duties he requires of man.
When I was pregnant with Peter I was given the following book:
The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease
It is an amazing book and a superb resource book for read-alouds for children.
THE LIBRARY
Do you love the library? I do, and kids do. What's not to love....it is one of the last best free things to do that really makes an early impact on the desire to love books. Our library is devoted to children, I would search high and low for one that does just that. Ours has stuffed animals and a special little nook for children to be children in, with their books.
I check out the maximum I can with three cards. Often I don't have time to peruse my selection well, and I'll end up with books that have to do with homosexual penguins, or a black Abraham Lincoln. I spend about an hour reading through the books on my own, and then return the ones that are outright ridiculous.
Our library has a rack right when you walk in with Children's books for the season. Maybe it's Autum, or Christmas or Saint Patrick's Day, or Black History Month. Whatever it may be, I clear out the rack. I am certain that I want my children to know about their world, and all the nations under God. Not just Americans, and not just about Christians.
I don't have toys in my children's room, only books. Give your children lots of options, with only one being the desired choice:
OPTION ONE: SIT ON YOUR BED
OPTION TWO: READ A BOOK ON YOUR CHAIR
OPTION THREE: CLEAN UP YOUR ROOM
I'll let you guess which one always wins out! Also, your child does not
have to be reading yet, to read their books.
Love to Read
No comments:
Post a Comment