
And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
Galatians 6:9
I just read one of the most amazing sermons by Dr. D Martyn Lloyd-Jones...I have been reading a lot of his sermons and most have really begun to change me. This one was titled "Weary in Doing Well."
In most of his sermons he will address a particular temperment that may be prone to wrong christian thinking, or something external such as circumstances that surround us that drag us under. THis one dealt more specifically with "seasons" that we go through. This verse spoken by Apostle Paul to the Galatians was speaking in terms of the "middle point" season of the Christian life. As I read this, I was immediately engaged, for this is where I am. The middle point. Nothing too exciting going on, my life is drastically easy, my children are healthy, my husband is salt of the earth, my church is doing well. Shouldn't this produce "JOY"? not just little joy, but big JOY?
Especially after the year that I have had, life is really becoming so steady, and for my particular temperment, this is more wearisome and taxing on me. It was so wonderful to read scripture again and realize that there is not a single area of the Christian Life that is new under the sun. How I am feeling is extremely normal and natural. However we as Christians should not be quick to equate normal with right. I am commanded to have Joy...I am told to pray for Joy.
How?
Well, there are tests, and there is self examination. I frequent a lot of blogs. Last night four of the blogs that I read all posted similar things in different ways. These are all good friends of mine too. One posted three separate lists of activities catagorized as things never able to do again, not able to quit, and things to attain to do. It was a thought prevoking. This friend is not in the middle season, she is transitioning into later life.....Another friend is still in the midlife, and in her blog, said she has stopped for a time to try to consider why she is doing what she is doing....you know, take stock. Another friend, in the "middle point" is trying to dicipline herself to read through the Book of Psalms, and was greatful that they had finally finished.
Here me loud and clear, there is no judgement in the least of my writing these. These women are taking the time to self-examine. This sermon spoke to what we do with the answers to the questions we should be asking ourselves.
These were three very poignant points that he made that really struck me:
1. "'We are just in a rut, we are becomng rather dead. What can we do about it? Well, let's do this, or that. It will privide work and activity, it will be a new interest.' He states that if we sow to our self and our feeling without first considering we will always end up tired and weary. It's just that simple....Always is a pretty black and white word, yet this is God's economy, and I have learned that His truths always prevail. Self is a terrible master. IF we are working to satisy and please self in any shape or form, the end is always going to be weariness and tiredness.
Anicdote: Cleary ask yourself about your motivation in connection with your work."
2. "ne of the greatest dangers in the spritiual lif eis to live on your own activites. In other words, the activity is not in its right place as something which you do, but has become something that keep you going. Unfortunately the world has become so made that we are kept going by this terrific momentum and rush of life, and instead of our being in control, the thing is controlling us. And ultimately it exhasts us and depresses us."
I can't write the entire sermon, I am too in this season of really trying to analyze why? and what? in my life, and pray and pray for the Joy of Jesus Christ, his life, his death and his resurrection to manifest itself in my life. He promises that and will be meditating on this promise and the power that have of the Holy Spirit in me.
Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment