This last week has been "playpen" training for Peter. We have experienced a great deal of turmoil this week due to contructing walls for him that give me a little piece of mind, but more importantly give Peter his own little city in which to freely roam, and make his own.
Peter is slowly learning to enjoy his city, of course he loves most to have company, and is most independent while I am right there within his city walls, and as either David or I step out, he stands up and hangs onto his walls protesting our departure. Of course we are never really leaving him, just stepping out of the walls. His protests are less and less vehement and I have every hope that with time (who knows how long) he will come to enjoy the city of Peter.
Not coincidentally (since I don't believe in coincidence), a few days after beginning this training with Peter I heard what was the most compelling Sermon I have ever heard. I have been listening to a series on Proverbs by Tim Keller (see link to his Church) and this particular sermon was on Self-control.
Proverbs 25:28
Whoever has no rule over his own spirit
Is like a city broken down, without walls.
Of Course I did not make an connections until I was "baby proofing" and making all areas of my house as safe for Peter as possible, and when I saw him in his little "corral" it struck me that I am also in a corral. Everytime I fail to have self-control, I see that I have broken down my city wall, the very city wall that keeps me safe and secure. It also dawned on me, how often I stand at my own walls, protesting vehemently.
I told a friend of mine at the beginning of Peter's training, that I was teaching Peter an early form of self-discipline. Due to the fact, that 99% of babies are not taught to use a playpen there has been little to no advice that I may lean on, and of course I know that the Bible does not have a book on exactly what we need to do in order to raise Godly children......and yet, right there in the Bible was how to begin disciplining our son in the very difficult virtue of Self-control. I think I was most excited because I had realized a principle that I may apply to training Peter, and that this would apply in many many areas.
I praise God for my city is abundantly filled with His special gifts to me, and within my city walls I have complete freedom. Amen and Amen
1 comment:
I want a picture of the City of Peter!! hahaha ... okay, sorta joking but not completely. Thanks for the phone calls lately ... nice to get phone calls and check ups. Sage's fever is back, will be taking her to the doctor this afternoon. Another bad night last night ... Did I Sleep?? Not really sure.
Post a Comment